Guide: Fix Windows 10 Game DVR No Audio Issues
The Windows 10 Game DVR feature (included in the Xbox app) is amazing, its an always-on game recording piece of software that is tightly integrated with the OS itself!
One issue I’ve had on and off since I’ve started using it is the fact that sometimes it would completely not record any audio. For me this was an on and off problem and was not consistent. Every time I thought I had fixed it, the problem returned hours later. This is something I’ve struggled with for a number of months and I’ve finally gotten to the bottom of it!
The problem actually stems from the software’s inability to record sound output to 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound devices, and even certain bitrates. The fix for this is very simple though.
- First you need to right click your sound icon in the system tray and choose Playback devices.
2. Next you’ll need to right click on your speakers that are setup and choose “Configure Speakers”.
3. Then you need to change the audio channels to “Stereo” and choose Next.
4. Right click on your speakers again but choose “Properties” this time.
5. Go to the “Advanced” tab and set it to 16 bit, 48000 Hz (DVD Quality) sound.
6. *IMPORTANT* Be sure to repeat this for any other devices you use, SUCH AS A GAMING HEADSET.
This is what got me for months on end. I had my normal speakers working just fine, but the problem with the on/off issues with no audio were stemming from the fact that I was using a headset with 7.1 enabled and I would get no sound on my game clips whenever I had my headset plugged in!
Hope this helps someone in the future.